tape backup on RS/6000

Glenn R. Stone gs26 at prism.gatech.EDU
Thu Oct 18 06:41:15 AEST 1990

In the referenced article cfjph at mrcnext.cso.uiuc.edu (Judy P. Halchin) writes:

>I am trying to backup an RS/6000 to 8mm tape, and I have two problems.  The
>first (which I saw asked here a few weeks ago, but never saw an answer) is
>how do I backup all my filesystems onto a single tape.

Use /dev/rmt0.1 as the backup device.... the ".1" is a special interface
to rmt0 that does not rewind the tape after each close.

>  Second, it warns me that a backup
>may not be any good if the filesystem was not unmounted first.  When I tried
>to unmount /usr I got a message that it was busy.

Unless you have to back up a "live" filesystem (i.e. you can't take the
system away from your users to back it up), it is best to run backup
from single user mode, entered with shutdown -m.  This leaves all
but / unmounted... note that neat things like "more" won't be available,
but it will insure a clean backup.

-- Glenn R. Stone
gs26 at prism.gatech.edu, glenns at eas.gatech.edu