tape backup on RS/6000

Amy Johnson johnson at ecovsh.eco.ncsu.edu
Thu Oct 18 07:33:20 AEST 1990

cfjph at mrcnext.cso.uiuc.edu (Judy P. Halchin) writes:
> I am trying to backup an RS/6000 to 8mm tape, and I have two problems.  The
> first (which I saw asked here a few weeks ago, but never saw an answer) is
> how do I backup all my filesystems onto a single tape.  After backing up each
> filesystem it rewinds the tape, forcing me to use a new one for the next
> filesystem.  There must be a better way!

I posted the request for help on 8mm multiple filesystem backups a while
back.
Here are some helpful responses I received.  I implemented a different
method, which is probably not as efficient as the multiple filesystem method.
I use the command:

find /local /u/ugrad /u/faculty /u/grad /u/staff /usr /etc -print | backup
-i -q -f/dev/rmt1

This works ok and puts everything on one tape so the backup could be automated.
I hope to change this to the multiple filesystem method when I get a free
second.

Amy <johnson at ecovsh.eco.ncsu.edu>
Engineering Computer Operations
North Carolina State University

Date: Fri, 21 Sep 90 16:31:02 CDT
From: bware at csm9b.mines.colorado.edu (Bob Ware)

We ran into the same problem.

The restore command defaults to the SECOND backup on the tape (don't ask
me WHY!).  That made us think that the first one was being overwritten
by the second.

Try something like:

restore -s 1 ...

to read the first backup on the tape.

This was explained to us by an IBM person in Austin.

Bob Ware, Colorado School of Mines, Golden, Co 80401, USA
(303) 273-3987
bware at mines.colorado.edu bware at mines.bitnet

Date: Mon, 17 Sep 90 12:12:56 -0500
From: jws at anaconda.cc.purdue.edu

We have an 8mm tape and I'm doing multiple backups on the tape.  I
believe the message from backup about rewinding the tape is in error.
I get it too, but I have been able to skip out and read all of the
backups.  Try reading the tape with "restore -i -s1 -f/dev/rmt1.1".
You should see the files from the first backup.  "quit" and repeat the
command and you should see the files from the second backup.
You'll probably find the dumps are there.

	- Jeff Stewart
	Purdue University Computing Center