tape backup on RS/6000

Peter Mroz mroz at eplrx7.uucp
Thu Oct 18 07:37:24 AEST 1990

We use the following script to backup our entire system.  We have about
6 filesystems under the rootvg volume group.  If you have more than one
volume group you may need to find ALL files, put that list into a file,
and feed it to backup.

Enjoy!

#!/bin/ksh
# backupall: backup all files under /
#
# 7/24/90 Peter Mroz
#
# To submit as a batch job:
#
#	at now +8 hours backupall
#
# Output will be in /backlog.xxxyyzzzz.Z, where x, y, and z are a concatenated
# date.  For example, on July 4th, 1990, the backup file will be
# /backlog.Jul041990.Z

# Revision 8/8/90 Peter Mroz

#	o Due to the size of the backlog files (332K) compress them (~84K)

# Revised 8/16/90 PM
#	o Change backlog to bklog - see more files with ls

# Submit the next backup job
at 10 pm tomorrow backupall

# Don't run on weekends
today=$(date | cut -c1-3)
if [ $today = "Sat" ] || [ $today = "Sun" ]
then
	exit
fi

extension=$(date | cut -c5-7,9,10,25-28)

cd /;find . -print | backup -v -if/dev/rmt0 > bklog.${extension}

# Compress the log file to save space
compress bklog.${extension}

--
    Peter Mroz                    |    E.I. Du Pont de Nemours & Co.
    eplrx7!mroz at uunet.uu.net      |    Consultant, Scicon
--
The UUCP Mailer