The IBM rs6000 delete key (and anyone got x11r4)

Eric S. Johnson esj at wasp.eng.ufl.edu
Mon Oct 15 11:56:34 AEST 1990

The delete (normally ^?) key maps to some silly <esc>[P code. This is not
specific to AIX 3.1. I have seen it on the AIXterm of AIX 370 and
AIX 2.2.1 too. On AIX 3.1 it happens on the HFT and the AIXterm.
It is probably a simple X type keymap problem, but has been MOST irritating.
In fact, this is my most frequent complaint around the office when I am
mad at the silly OS:  "F***ing IBM can't even get the delete key right..."
;-)

Also there is some problem with the yp groups.  You have to keep a
local version of the /etc/group file, and the group names have to be
short. Otherwise you can't log in. And no diagnostic.  (If your group
is listed in the NIS/YP map but not on the local machine, forget it.) A
five minute user creation took 3 hours because of this one.

And now a query,

Anyone succesfully ported X11R4? Diffs available?

Thanks in Advance!
Ej

P.S.  I have found a bug in the -lm library. the pow function will dump
core at times. This is easily fixed by writing the function yourself.
(probably at a loss of speed)

P.P.S.  It is still a very fast machine. All the programs I can manage
to get compiled run like lightning. At a demo we were running localy
using RPC to do a mandelbrot set, we ran 3 instances on the rs6000
while the rest of the net (SS, Decstations, sony's) were only running
1. The rs6000 was still faster.  If the OS was nicer this would be a
class machine.