The IBM rs6000 delete key (and anyone got x11r4)

Mic Kaczmarczik mic at ut-emx.uucp
Mon Oct 15 16:21:17 AEST 1990

In article <24895 at uflorida.cis.ufl.EDU> esj at eng.ufl.edu (Eric S. Johnson) writes:

>The delete (normally ^?) key maps to some silly <esc>[P code. This is not
>specific to AIX 3.1. I have seen it on the AIXterm of AIX 370 and
>AIX 2.2.1 too. On AIX 3.1 it happens on the HFT and the AIXterm.
>It is probably a simple X type keymap problem, but has been MOST irritating.
>In fact, this is my most frequent complaint around the office when I am
>mad at the silly OS:  "F***ing IBM can't even get the delete key

I got the AIX xterm to generate a DEL instead of ESC [ P (and make the
tty driver use it as my delete character) using the following two
files.

I set the environment variable XENVIRONMENT to the value
	$HOME/.Xresources.aix

so only programs running on the AIX machine get these resources.  The
resources set the xterm terminal modes to use Delete instead of
Backspace, and (within xterm only) remaps the keysym ``Delete'' to
insert what you normally expece the Delete key to insert -- ASCII code
127 (decimal).

The second file, .Xmodmap.aix, makes the BackSpace and Delete keys
equivalent.  It also swaps the Control and Caps Lock keys, so I end up
with a keyboard that doesn't make me want to break it into little
pieces after 5 minutes' use.  I put the following line in my .xinitrc
to make the keymap change:
	xmodmap .Xresources.aix

Those who think BackSpace is the right way to delete backwards, and
the Control key is less important than Caps Lock, will probably not
find these changes of much use. If you're using an RS/6000 in a Sun or
DEC environment, though, they may help.

----------------------------- .Xresources.aix --------------------------------
!
! Makes sure I get a DEL when you type a BackSpace on an aixterm
! window, and sets up the default TTY modes to match.
!
! This is in a OS/CPU-specific resource file because R4 xterms complain
! if I use XTerm*Translations to set the translations (because only the
! VT100 and Tek4014 widgets know about the string() method).  If I use
! XTerm*.VT100.Translations or something similar, aixterm doesn't understand.
!
XTerm.ttyModes:		erase ^? kill ^u intr^c
XTerm.Translations: #override \
	<Key>Delete: string(0x7f)\n\
  Meta  <Key>Delete: string(0x1b) string(0xff)
----------------------------- .xmodmap.aix -----------------------------------
!
! Swap Caps_Lock and Control_L on an RS/6000 keyboard.
!
remove Lock = Caps_Lock
remove Control = Control_L
keysym Control_L = Caps_Lock
keysym Caps_Lock = Control_L
add Lock = Caps_Lock
add Control = Control_L
!
! Make Delete and BackSpace have the same name
!
keysym BackSpace = Delete
--
Mic Kaczmarczik                  gripe@{emx,ix1,ccwf} (Unix consulting, 1-0251)
Unix / VMS / Cyber Services                 ...!cs.utexas.edu!ut-emx!mic (UUCP)