Hooking up PostScript printer to AIX 3.1

Paul Linton paul at wolf.ccs.uky.edu
Mon Oct 15 08:55:52 AEST 1990

(Sorry if you have seen this before, I don't think news is leaving our site(s))

Okay, I posted this once before but I have a bit more information now:

I am trying to hook up a ALW II/NT to serial port2 of an RS6000.

After getting the device added correctly with "communications" going
as well as I can tell (baud and parity and stuff seem correct) I add
the serial port into /etc/remote file and 'tip' to it.  That is I can
"talk" to the printer and find out status and stuff.  Problem #1, tip
(or SOMETHING) is buffering the output to the serial line by 3 bytes.
The reason I know this is that I hooked the cable up to a terminal and
watched as data was sent to it via tip, except it buffered 3 characters
at a time until a forth was sent (then "burst" them out).

I think this has something to do with the problem, but I am not sure, can
anyone at IBM help with an explaination ?

I did go ahead and make a virtual printer using a template for an IBM
postscript printer, but obviously I want to get this working first before
that happens (lpr filename simply "eats" the job and I never see it again).

Using another computer someone here showed me how (in tip) using ~> filename^M^D
would "send" to the "filename" to the printer and it actually worked.
With the buffering I am running into a brick wall already (ie, I cant
printout even "manually").

Any help would be appreciated, also if anyone read this far and wants
to send me a note verifying that rnn/inews/nntp actually sent this somewhere
other than my machine I'd appreciate it.

Paul