Query: Real-time facilities in AIX?

Yoram Eisenstadter yoram at cs.columbia.edu
Thu Oct 4 06:14:18 AEST 1990

I have heard conflicting reports as to the
existence of real-time processing extensions in
AIX.  Items of interest would include things like
non-preemptable processes or asynchronous I/O.

Do such facilities exist?  If so, what constructs
are available?  Can somebody cite the relevant
piece of documentation?

Related questions: Does anybody wish to comment
on the the general suitability of an IBM RS6000
workstation and AIX for real-time signal
processing applications?  Is writing an AIX device
driver significantly different from writing a
driver under more standard flavors of Unix?

Please e-mail replies; I'll post a summary if
there's interest.

Thanks..Y
yoram at cs.columbia.edu
...!rutgers!cs.columbia.edu!yoram