Installing 1.2 on a PS/2

Robert Ellefson bobeson at saturn.ucsc.edu
Sat Oct 6 03:05:45 AEST 1990

In article <254 at dean1.usma.edu> aj4640 at dean1.acd.usam.edu (Major J.S. Robertson) writes:
>After applying the PTF disk set to AIX 1.2, the kernel rebuild
>starts, but then hangs indefinitely.  Turning the machine on and off
>leaves the lpp queue blocked.  qproc won't work, returning with a
>"local update failed."
>
>Even worse, the 1.2 update disks won't apply either. I've already installed the
>OS FIVE times and I just can't seem to get it to go.  Any suggestions??
>
>Jack

I have installed the 85 or so disks of the 1.2 distribution well over
ten times (yes, TEN) and the updates I have swapped in and out and
in and out and in and out more times than I care to remember.  My
machine is still sitting idle.   The only solution left seems to be
installation of a TCF cluster from our 4381.  At least we
have tapes, rather than a million disk swaps.  However, that is
not going well either.

Is there anybody out there who has gotten 1.2 to work from the floppies?
With TCP/IP?  With TCF?   Is there a light at the end of this tunnel?
Should I go back to 1.1 forever?  Will IBM ever distribute on streaming
tape?

-Bob