how can I disable a login?

Herbert van den Bergh hbergh at oracle.nl
Thu Sep 13 07:52:08 AEST 1990

I tried to disable login to a user on AIX 3.1 9021 with the 3001 update
(does that make it 9030?).
I used the command "chuser login=false user".
Then I set the password to nothing, so anyone that logs in to his own
account could su to that user without typing a password.

The problem is that now everyone can still login to the "disabled"
user, without a password!

It seems to occur on telnet or rlogin connections only. When trying to
login on a serial tty, the login fails as expected.

My workaround in .profile of the disabled user:

	test `logname` = user && exit

Did I do something wrong, or was it IBM?

--
Herbert van den Bergh, ORACLE Europe	hbergh at oracle.nl, hbergh at oracle.com
Rijnzathe 6, NL-3454 PV De Meern	uunet!mcsun!orcenl!hbergh