locking a named pipe with fcntl( ,F_SETLK, ) doesn't work

Herbert van den Bergh hbergh at oracle.nl
Thu Sep 13 07:42:14 AEST 1990

I tried to lock a named pipe from a C program by calling
fcntl() with the F_SETLK command.
The fcntl() always returns -1 with errno set to EINVAL.
The same call, with the same parameters, does work on regular files.
I can't find anything in InfoExplorer that explains this.

Are locks on named pipes not supported?
How do I keep other processes from getting at them?

If you are interested in more details, I can mail you a small test
case to demonstrate this.

Thanks.
--
Herbert van den Bergh, ORACLE Europe	hbergh at oracle.nl, hbergh at oracle.com
Rijnzathe 6, NL-3454 PV De Meern	uunet!mcsun!orcenl!hbergh