Token ring to Ethernet revisited.

JJDAVIS at cc.utah.edu JJDAVIS at cc.utah.edu
Fri Sep 7 14:44:53 AEST 1990

I could have saved some bandwidth across the western hemisphere if I'd
been clearer the first time; I'm looking for solutions that don't
involve routing on one of the RISC/6000s.  (But I greatly appreciate
all replies, particularly from the busy IBM people.)  So, if I'm faced
with

Appletalk <---> plug something distinct in here <---> Ethernet

I call Kinetics and order a Fastpath box.  But faced with

RISC/6000 token ring <---> plug something distinct in here <--> Ethernet

I call ? and order a ?.

The options I knew about before posting my first message were "call
IBM and order an 8232 and a VM host", but that's a bit expensive.  Or
"call DEC and order their token ring to Ethernet product," but it's
not clear that's really a solution.

One person suggested running a standalone PC with Phil Karn's TCP/IP
code.  That's an interesting possibility, given today's PC clone
prices.  But aren't there any IBM/DEC/Yoyodyne off-the-shelf,
standalone solutions (that don't involve mainframes and minidisks)?
Seems like a fairly obvious market niche...

In the meantime I'll call the English department and order a course in
clearer writing!

Jim Davis
Utah Supercomputing Institute
davis at math.utah.edu (preferred)