Illegal trap instruction interrupt in kernel

Mathew Accapadi;3-3517 matt at mathew.austin.ibm.com
Fri Sep 21 02:00:40 AEST 1990

In article <csjoey.653717485 at knuth> csjoey at knuth.MTSU.EDU (mr. joey carruthers) writes:
>Maybe someone out there can help me with this problem on the RS/6000.
>It occurs mostly at shutdown, or when I have to do a kill on a Smit that
>has gotten hung.
>  The system will go dead, except for the console, which appears to have
>a debugging screen.  At the top of the screen, I get 4 lines which start
>with GPR0, GPR8, GPR16, and GPR24.  These GPR numbers are followed by
>codes, and the GPR16 has 2 setc of code reading 'DEADBEEF'.
>three machines).  There is a message at the bottom of the screen saying
>"Illegal trap instruction interrupt in kernel", followd by a prompt.
>
>  Has anyone else seen this happen? What causes it, and is there a cure?

The best thing to do is to have an IBM SE look at this and take a stack trace to
determine what component is causing the problem.  Also, they can record the
address of the instruction so as to determine the offset into the code that
'asserted'.  Another thing you can do is type in "quit dump" instead of just "quit".
This will force a dump to your primary dump device which you can then hand over
to your IBM rep.

Regards,
Matt