Illegal trap instruction interrupt in kernel

mr. joey carruthers csjoey at knuth.MTSU.EDU
Wed Sep 19 14:11:25 AEST 1990

Maybe someone out there can help me with this problem on the RS/6000.
It occurs mostly at shutdown, or when I have to do a kill on a Smit that
has gotten hung.  The problem has occurred on both a 320 and a 520
running AIX version 3, and is as follows:
  The system will go dead, except for the console, which appears to have
a debugging screen.  At the top of the screen, I get 4 lines which start
with GPR0, GPR8, GPR16, and GPR24.  These GPR numbers are followed by
codes, and the GPR16 has 2 setc of code reading 'DEADBEEF'.
  I then get a listing of the contents of some registers, and on all 3
systems this has happend on, there follows a dump of memory locations
00028590 thru 000285F0 (it has been this exact same location on all
three machines).  There is a message at the bottom of the screen saying
"Illegal trap instruction interrupt in kernel", followd by a prompt.  If
you do a quit at the prompt, you have to reboot the system.

  Has anyone else seen this happen? What causes it, and is there a cure?
Thanks in advance.

                                    Joey Carruthers