Illegal trap instruction interrupt in kernel

Frank Feuerbacher frank at gremlin.austin.ibm.com
Thu Sep 20 23:27:22 AEST 1990

>   The system will go dead, except for the console, which appears to have
> a debugging screen.

First, let me say that I am NOT the expert on this.  But...

The system has indeed trapped an illegal instruction. Whoever installed the
machine selected to have the low-level debugger come up when such things
occur.

Are you running the released level of the software?  If not, get it.

If it is the released level, call the problem in to IBM.  It will probably
be useful to record what shows up on the debugger screen.  There probably is
a way to crete a dump that may be useful to IBM to track down the beast.

Disclaimer:  I don't speak for my employer, they don't speak for me.