PAging space useage on AIX (was Re: tcsh for RISC6000, AIX 3.1?)

jim frost madd at world.std.com
Tue Sep 25 02:28:16 AEST 1990

geoff at edm.uucp (Geoff Coleman) writes:

>From article <229 at rufus.UUCP>, by drake at drake.almaden.ibm.com:
>>
>> This is issued when paging space on disk is very full.  If paging space
>							  ^^
>> gets incredibly full, AIX starts sending SIGKILL to processes that are using

>Shouldn't you change that if to a when. AIX 3.1 seems incredibly adept at
>using paging space. After a fresh boot of a system that has 32 Mbytes of
>paging space and 16 Mbyte of memory I run lsps -a and am told
>that 53 % of paging space is in use.

Hmm... do you do many compiles?  With only 32Mb paging you wouldn't be
able to link a very large executable given the current linker.  We use
64Mb and are going to at least double that pretty soon as we get
further into serious development.

Also, how is your performance with only 16Mb memory?  I find
performance to be much poorer than expected on our machine (a 520).  A
couple of people I spoke with said that a development system didn't
work too well until there was more than 40Mb of memory, with 60 or
more recommended.

Curious,

jim frost
saber software