problem in csh with Risc/6000 AIX3.1

David Dick drd at siia.mv.com
Sat Sep 8 05:32:26 AEST 1990

In <1990Aug29.180625.17419 at cadence.com> mikel at cadence.cadence.com writes:

>Recently I got the chance to try RISC/6000 AIX3.1 and found a problem.
>When I type "ps aux | more" or "ls -lrt | more" in csh, I intermittently
>got the error message "Background write" but it's OK if I use sh.
>Cound somebody tell me something wrong with csh?

I, too, have seen this problem.  It has something to do with
job control.  For some reason some process has been "backgrounded"
and tries to write to its stdout, which gets trapped to produce
the error message.  At least, this is my guess.  I get around
it by killing the backgrounded process(es).

The intermittence is peculiar.

David Dick
Software Innovations, Inc. [the Software Moving Company (sm)]