Remote printing under AIX - how to do it

Huw Davies - La Trobe University Computer Centre CCHD at latvax8.lat.oz
Sat Sep 8 05:43:55 AEST 1990

Well, this is the first of what I think will be many postings
begging for help :-(

Our first RS system arrived (a 530, with two 540 promised in October)
[Parenthetical comment: Yes, in Oz RS does mean the same as BS - up until
recently, I'd object to calling the IBM's this, but recently I'm starting
to call them much worse things than that...]. After the challenge
of configuring a system without access to paper documentation, and having
now succeeded in operating infoexplorer to my Mac via X, I wanted to set
up a remote printer.

I set up the service on our main VAXcluster using CMU TCP/IP in
about 5 minutes. I set up the configuration on our MIPS in about 5
minutes and it all worked. Feeling rather smug (I'm a VMS person
learning Unix the hard way) I wondered over to the IBM and fired up
SMIT (I usually refer to Smit as Smut - I get into trouble for this too!)
After a couple of hours trying to set things up, I rang our IBM CS.
They only confused me more... I then got a copy of "AIXv3 for
4.3BSD System Administrators" and followed the magic incantation
on page 21, but to no avail.

Has anyone out there set up a remote printer? What did I do wrong?
Does it work?

Any help would be appreciated.

Huw Davies
Senior Systems Programmer
La Trobe University
Melbourne
Australia

I can be contacted on the Internet at the address
    cchd at lucifer.latrobe.edu.au
or try the address in the header