Mail problem in AIX PS/2 V1.2

Jim Vlcek vlcek at mit-caf.MIT.EDU
Thu Sep 6 11:29:39 AEST 1990

I've just installed AIX PS/2 V1.2 on a Model 80, and loaded the mail
utility with sendmail (no MH) for electronic mail.  I used the
sendmail.cf that came with the utility, making only the necessary
changes to put in place the machine name.  Now, I can get email out of
the system to other machines just fine (via the Ethernet port using
TCP/IP), but I can't seem to get mail delivered into the machine.
Here's what I get whenever I try to send something into the machine
from elsewhere:

From: MAILER-DAEMON at foobar.mit.edu (Mail Delivery Subsystem)
Subject: Returned mail: Service unavailable
>>> HELO foobar.mit.edu
<<< 553 foobar.mit.edu Do not communicate with self
554 <root at FOOBAR.MIT.EDU>... Service unavailable: No such file or directory

All of the Internet services (finger, rlogin, ftp, etc) are working
just fine; only just the mail seems to be screwed up.  I suspect I'm
doing something wrong in sendmail.cf, although I can't imagine what.
I haven't made any changes to it other than the machine name and
domain information.

Anybody have any suggestions as to what I'm doing wrong?

Jim Vlcek  (vlcek at caf.mit.edu  vlcek at athena.mit.edu)