Mail problem in AIX PS/2 V1.2

Pete Resnick resnick at cogsci.uiuc.edu
Fri Sep 7 01:10:50 AEST 1990

vlcek at mit-caf.MIT.EDU (Jim Vlcek) writes:

>From: MAILER-DAEMON at foobar.mit.edu (Mail Delivery Subsystem)
>Subject: Returned mail: Service unavailable
>   ----- Transcript of session follows -----
><<< 553 foobar.mit.edu Do not communicate with self
>554 <root at FOOBAR.MIT.EDU>... Service unavailable: No such file or directory

>All of the Internet services (finger, rlogin, ftp, etc) are working
>just fine; only just the mail seems to be screwed up.  I suspect I'm
>doing something wrong in sendmail.cf, although I can't imagine what.
>I haven't made any changes to it other than the machine name and
>domain information.

It is clearly that your machine is not recognizing it's own host name.
A few things to check:

1. Make sure your hostname is it /etc/hosts or on the nameserver.
2. Make sure that exact hostname is what is defined in sendmail.cf
   as well as the domain name. AIX sendmail is a little strange
   in that the domain name is pinned on to any hostname or class
   (alternate) name you provide. Make sure your machine knows
   who it is. Maybe check the From field.
3. Make sure that /etc/master is using the same name as the hostname
   (i.e. the first name).
4. If there are other host names that are available for this machine,
   make sure they are in sendmail.cf in the class names.

Hope that helps.
pr
--
Pete Resnick             (...so what is a mojo, and why would one be rising?)
Graduate assistant - Philosophy Department, Gregory Hall, UIUC
Internet/ARPAnet/EDUnet  : resnick at cogsci.uiuc.edu
BITNET (if no other way) : FREE0285 at UIUCVMD