RS-6000 / xlfsmsg.cat file error

Frank Feuerbacher frank at gremlin.austin.ibm.com
Tue Sep 25 03:26:21 AEST 1990

> I've been testing some FORTRAN code on these machines.  The xlf
> compiler appears to be working fine, but once executed I always
> get the message:
>
> Error occurred while initializing the message system in file:
> xlfsmsg.cat

This is caused when a command (although message will probably vary) can not
find the message catalog for the set language.

Perhaps your environment variables LANG or NLSPATH are not set, or set
incorrectly.  For example, LANG=C or LANG=En_US  and
NLSPATH=Distribution: comp
> I've been testing some FORTRAN code on these machines.  The xlf
> compiler appears to be working fine, but once executed I always
> get the message:
>
> Error occurred while initializing the message system in file:
> xlfsmsg.cat

This is caused when a command (although message will probably vary) can not
find the message catalog for the set language.

Perhaps your environment variables LANG or NLSPATH are not set, or set
incorrectly.  For example, LANG=C or LANG=En_US  and
NLSPATH=/usr/lpp/msg/%L/%N:/usr/lpp/msg/prime/%N

LANG=C should give the familar terse messages and En_US should give a more
'friendly,' descriptive message.

These variable should have been set up in the /etc/profile during installation.

Hope this helps

Disclaimer: I don't speak for my employer, they don't speak for me.