X on DOS

Robert Ellefson bobeson at saturn.ucsc.edu
Thu Sep 20 05:18:50 AEST 1990

In article <90261.082810P88033 at BARILVM.BITNET> P88033 at BARILVM.BITNET (Shlomit Rot) writes:

>Does anyone tried the IBM product name "X on DOS" ?
>If so, please let me know youre opinion on the product.

I installed this on a PS/2 model 50, along with AIX Access for DOS
users.  I liked AIX Access, as it gives you some good features.
(AIX filesystems accesible under DOS).

The X windows server was _MUCH_ too slow to use, unfortunately.  The
RAM limitations seemed to prevent more than 2 applications to run.
(Meaning, I could only run the window manager and 1 shell window.)
I had fun scrolling the mouse around quickly for a minute, and watching
the display take 5 minutes to follow my actions.  Perhaps a faster
machine will prevent this problem, but the 640k RAM limit is
probably unavoidable with the IBM X offering.

-Bob Ellefson
bobeson at spica.ucsc.edu