X on DOS

Richard L. Pettit Jr. richp at romulus.la.locus.com
Sat Sep 22 02:24:15 AEST 1990

In article <7002 at darkstar.ucsc.edu> bobeson at saturn.ucsc.edu (Robert Ellefson) writes:
>In article <90261.082810P88033 at BARILVM.BITNET> P88033 at BARILVM.BITNET (Shlomit Rot) writes:
>>
>>Does anyone tried the IBM product name "X on DOS" ?
>>If so, please let me know youre opinion on the product.
>
>I installed this on a PS/2 model 50, along with AIX Access for DOS
>users.  I liked AIX Access, as it gives you some good features.
>(AIX filesystems accesible under DOS).
>
>The X windows server was _MUCH_ too slow to use, unfortunately.  The
>RAM limitations seemed to prevent more than 2 applications to run.
>(Meaning, I could only run the window manager and 1 shell window.)
>I had fun scrolling the mouse around quickly for a minute, and watching
>the display take 5 minutes to follow my actions.  Perhaps a faster
>machine will prevent this problem, but the 640k RAM limit is
>probably unavoidable with the IBM X offering.
>
>-Bob Ellefson
>bobeson at spica.ucsc.edu

In all fairness, I should point out that:

  1) The current Xondos product is based on an older version of
     PC-Xsight which is the original Locus product.  IBM may decide
     at some point in the future to upgrade this product.

  2) The current AADU product is based on an older version of
     PCI which is the original Locus product.  IBM may decide
     at some point in the future to upgrade this product.

  3) Both PC-Xsight and PCI are available from authorized distributors
     of Locus products.

Rich
----
              Richard Pettit                       Locus Computing Corp.
                                richp at locus.com
        "Opinions expressed herein are of the author, not (LCC or IBM)"