Network configuration (hostname) problem

jim frost madd at world.std.com
Sat Sep 22 05:24:20 AEST 1990

An additional warning about hostnames on the RS/6000:  Most utilities
and system services cannot use hostnames which are not
fully-qualified, even if there is no fully-qualified name in
/etc/hosts and you're not using NIS or a name-server.  Thus if your
.rhosts reads:

	armory jimf
	saber jimf

`rsh' commands will not work.  Our domain is saber.com so my .rhosts
must read:

	armory.saber.com jimf
	saber.saber.com jimf

This is true of NFS exports and hosts.equiv as well.  It took quite
some time to figure out why it wouldn't give permission for many
network activities....

jim frost
saber software
jimf at saber.com