Network configuration (hostname) problem

Peter Murray pemurray at miavx1.acs.muohio.edu
Sat Sep 22 00:47:38 AEST 1990

In article <2345.26f7480e at miavx1.acs.muohio.edu>, pemurray at miavx1.acs.muohio.edu (Peter Murray) writes:
> We recently installed a RS/6000 powerserver on our network, and originally
> gave it the name RISCSRV.  Well, a couple of days later, someone came up
> with a better name, APSRISC.  So we changed the name in the BIND tables,
> and used the SMIT interface to change the configuration of TCP/IP.  In
> almost all cases ('rwhod', telnets, ftps, etc) the name is APSRISC.
> However, when telnetting from APSRISC to another machine, the hostname
> (in a 'who' command) shows up as RISCSRV.  Also, in a 'netstat' command
> on the RS/6000, RISCSRV show up again.

Problem solved.  It turns out that the reverse address maping on our
nameserver was wrong, and when this problem was fixed, everything
turned out ok.  Many thanks to Marc Auslander from IBM for solving
the problem and James Nau for his helpful advice.

Peter
--
Peter Murray            Neat UNIX Stunts #1:             pemurray at miavx1.bitnet
176 Thompson Hall          csh> make love         pmurray at apsvax.aps.muohio.edu