Network configuration (hostname) problem

Peter Jeffe 512.823.4091 jeffe at sandino.austin.ibm.com
Fri Sep 21 00:49:08 AEST 1990

In article <2345.26f7480e at miavx1.acs.muohio.edu> pemurray at miavx1.acs.muohio.edu (Peter Murray) writes:
>We recently installed a RS/6000 powerserver on our network, and originally
>gave it the name RISCSRV.  Well, a couple of days later, someone came up
>with a better name, APSRISC.  So we changed the name in the BIND tables,
>and used the SMIT interface to change the configuration of TCP/IP.  In
>almost all cases ('rwhod', telnets, ftps, etc) the name is APSRISC.
>However, when telnetting from APSRISC to another machine, the hostname
>(in a 'who' command) shows up as RISCSRV.  Also, in a 'netstat' command
>on the RS/6000, RISCSRV show up again.

The common thing between telnetd and netstat is that they are both doing a
gethostbyaddr() to translate an IP address into a hostname (as opposed to a
gethostbyname() that does the reverse).  Since you are using a nameserver,
the problem is almost certainly that you forgot to change the name in the
database for the in-addr.arpa domain that maps addresses to hostnames.
Look in this file for the PTR record with your IP address, and my guess is
that it will have RISCSRV as the hostname.