Exabyte and the IBM-6000/530

Ronald S. Woan woan at peyote.cactus.org
Sat Sep 29 08:21:41 AEST 1990

In article <8642 at ncar.ucar.edu>, fredrick at acd.ucar.edu (Tim Fredrick) writes:
> We are getting an Exabyte 8mm 2.5Gig tape system directly from the
> manufacturer and may be purchasing an IBM 6000/530 soon.  Is it reasonable
> to expect this drive to run on the 6000/530 given that we acquire the
> correct cables from IBM?  In other words, do IBM's drivers support an
> Exabyte drive in the same way they support their own internal 8mm tape
> system?  If not, what steps do I need to go through to attach an
> Exabyte?   Thanks in advance.  --Tim

Well, the basic answer is no they won't. The Exabytes that IBM ships
contain a special PROM. Someone else may have written a generic
driver, but I haven't heard about it.

						Ron
+ Ronald S. Woan       woan at peyote.cactus.org or woan%austin at iinus1.ibm.com +
+ othernet                          Prodigy: XTCR74A Compuserve: 73530,2537 +