RS-6000 (is there an elegant way to kill "X"?)

Ronald S. Woan ron at woan
Wed Sep 19 01:55:29 AEST 1990

In article <M-HIRANO.90Sep17163624 at ext106.sra.co.jp>,
m-hirano at sra.co.jp writes:
Motonori>  So, I ported "xinit" included in X11R4 MIT distribution and
Motonori> replaced IBM's shell script xinit to this.
Motonori>  Then I wrote a ".xserverrc" in my home directory like this

Forgive my ignorance, but what does the X11R4 xinit program feature? I
always thought that it was basically like the supplied shell script,
in that it invokes a user's ~/.xinitrc when found...

Motonori> X -n :0 -T -f 70 -c 60 -a 2 -fn rom17

Motonori> and at the end of .xinitrc, I do "exec xterm".  So I exit
Motonori> from xterm invoked by .xinitrc, my X server is going to kill
Motonori> just like another machine's X server.

The "exec window manager" may have been just a touch nicer for most
people, except the "exec xterm" does allow you to swap out window
managers without ending the X session.

                                                Ron

+ Ronald S. Woan       woan at peyote.cactus.org or woan at austin.iinus1.ibm.com +
+ other email addresses             Prodigy: XTCR74A Compuserve: 73530,2537 +