RS-6000 (is there an elegant way to kill "X"?)

Ivan Maldonado ivan%nepjt at ncsuvx.ncsu.edu
Sun Sep 16 07:26:14 AEST 1990

In article <3511 at awdprime.UUCP> ron at woan (Ronald S. Woan) writes:
> In article <957 at nlsun1.oracle.nl>, hbergh at oracle.nl (Herbert van den
> Bergh) writes:
> In article <IVAN%NEPJT.90Sep13133133 at nepjt.ncsuvx.ncsu.edu>
> ivan%nepjt at ncsuvx.ncsu.edu (Ivan Maldonado) writes:
> >Under the absence of a "screen saver" utility, I find myself
> >doing a "ps -a" and a "kill PID" to kill "X" from the console
> >all the time.
> Herbert> It has been mentioned here before:
> Herbert> Typing Ctrl-Alt-Backspace on the graphics screen keyboard will
> Herbert> stop the X server.
> Then again, a lot of us disable this "feature" when invoking X to make
> using xlock more secure... ctrl-alt-bspace doesn't really seem any
> more elegant than a kill...
> 						Ron

I sort of agree with Ron.  When xclock and/or any other X window is
active at the time you do a Ctrl-Alt-Backspace, you end up getting a
"broken pipe" message.  I think a "quit X" option was left out from
the same menu one uses to open a new window.  Then again, that's me
thinking.... oh no!!

Thank you all for your replies.

-Ivan

| Guillermo Ivan Maldonado           |  Internet: ivan%nepjt at ncsuvx.ncsu.edu |
| Department of Nuclear Engineering  |  BITNET  : maldonado at ncsune           |
| North Carolina State University    |----------------------------------------
| NCSU Box # 7909                    |   ... que viva Quito !                |
| Raleigh. NC 27606-7909             |         ... que viva el ECUADOR !!    |