CD's and CD-ROM Player

dcm dcm at toysrus.uucp
Tue Sep 11 01:24:56 AEST 1990

In article <1990Sep10.023653.330 at jdyx.UUCP> shawn at jdyx.UUCP (Shawn Hayes) writes:

>     Has anyone gotten the CD-ROM player program to play music CD's yet?
>I have compiled the CD player program that was posted recently, but when I
>try to play anything I get a message that the program can't open
>/dev/rcd0.  I've verified that the raw cd0 file exists and I'm not quite
>sure of what else to look at?
>
>Any ideas?
>
>Thanks.
>
>Shawn

Shawn,

	Try running the program setuid root.  For some reason, only
	processes with euid = 0 can open the cd device file, regardless
	of the permissions on the file itself (actually, setuid 0 is
	probably overkill.  you probably just need to have one of the
	privilege bits set).

--------

	Craig Miller, contractor @ IBM AWD, Austin  (I don't speak for IBM)
	UUCP: ..!uunet!cs.utexas.edu!ibmaus!auschs!toysrus.austin.ibm.com!dcm

	"Just because it works doesn't means it's right, stupid!"
	"You should never install code you do not understand."