X & AIX

john powell jip at helix.nih.gov
Tue Jan 15 09:32:37 AEST 1991

Background...

I am very familiar with System Administration on SUNs, SGI's, & Stellars.
I am assisting some basically novice system administrators in setting up and
using a RS6000 AIX 3.1 (patch 3001 I believe).  IBM did the initial
software installation and afterwards on boot the console was running X as root.
After removing the tail lines from /.profile we were able to turn off X on
re-booting.  Again I am a novice to AIX.  Now the questions:

1.  After a user logs in from the console and starts X, how does he
    stop X and logout?  We tried killing X but this leaves the console hung.

2.  (This may be the answer to the first)  Some of the Docs. we have found talks
     about starting X from virtual terminal and hot-keying to other virtual
     terminals.  Were should we look for documentation on doing this?  Any
     info would be appreciated.

An additional comment to the on going discussion on smit.  IMHO IBM has reduced
all of us to novices by introducing objres and stanza files.  Its made worse
by the poor documentation (or lack of in some cases) and the number of errors
encountered when running smit.  It reminds me alot of SUNs system administration
tools provided with the 386i's ... proved to be a real disaster at many sites.

				John Powell
				jip at helix.nih.gov