X & AIX

Jim Howe jwh at bodwin.ifs.umich.edu
Wed Jan 16 01:28:34 AEST 1991

In article <829 at nih-csl.nih.gov> jip at helix.nih.gov (john powell) writes:

>1.  After a user logs in from the console and starts X, how does he
>    stop X and logout?  We tried killing X but this leaves the console hung.
>
>2.  (This may be the answer to the first)  Some of the Docs. we have found talks
>     about starting X from virtual terminal and hot-keying to other virtual
>     terminals.  Were should we look for documentation on doing this?  Any
>     info would be appreciated.

Your second question does answer the first.  Typically what I do is login
on the console and then execute "open xinit".  The open command is used
to start another terminal session.  You can hot key using the alt + ctrl/act
keys.  I think this is described in the documentation on the Open command.
The open command can take a program as an option.  The "open xinit"
command starts the new session and executes the xinit command.  When you
quit MWM the X server will also be terminated and you will be returned
to your console session.  You can also flip between the X session and
other virtual terminal sessions using the hot key combination described
above.
=

James W. Howe			   internet: jwh at ifs.umich.edu
University of Michigan             uucp:     uunet!mailrus!ifs.umich.edu!jwh
Ann Arbor, MI   48103-4943