X & AIX

ransom at perelandra.austin.ibm.com ransom at perelandra.austin.ibm.com
Wed Jan 16 01:55:30 AEST 1991

I start X on my console when I login. To do this you need to use
swcons to change the console. In my .xinitrc file, I check to see if
I am on the console (in my case xinit passes as the first parameter to
.xinitrc whether or not I am on the console). If X is being started
on the console, then the .xinitrc creates an aixterm that runs this
small shell script:  swcons 'tty'
		     exec $SHELL
		     exit 0
This swaps the console to the aixterm and runs your shell.
Now, I also changed my .mwmrc to use kill 0 to kill X and in the
.profile, you need to run swcons before starting X. This will clean
up the console when you log back in.
Also the .profile should be changed to only run X if the user is on
the graphics head.

Jeff Peek
AIX Operating System Architecture -- IBM Advanced Workstation Division
ransom at bissell.austin.ibm.com
Austin, TX