X & AIX

Frank Feuerbacher frank at gremlin.austin.ibm.com
Wed Jan 16 02:21:59 AEST 1991

> 1.  After a user logs in from the console and starts X, how does he
>     stop X and logout?  We tried killing X but this leaves the console hung.

Use ctrl-alt-backspace.

> 2.  (This may be the answer to the first)  Some of the Docs. we have
found talks
>      about starting X from virtual terminal and hot-keying to other virtual
>      terminals.  Were should we look for documentation on doing this?  Any
>      info would be appreciated.

AIX supports multiple virtual windows (see the 'open' command, try 'open
ksh').  To
cycle between them, use alt-action (forward direction) or shift-action
(reverse direction).

> An additional comment to the on going discussion on smit.  IMHO IBM
has reduced
> all of us to novices by introducing objres and stanza files.  Its made worse
> by the poor documentation (or lack of in some cases) and the number of errors
> encountered when running smit.

You can choose not to use SMIT.  SMIT is a useful tool, even if used
just to learn
what commands to use to do things (look at smit.log & smit.script, also
F6 key).

Unfortunately, the applications that use (or should use) SMIT are not
completely
'polished' in that area.  In my opinion, the problem is not having SMIT,
it is not
having 'enough' SMIT, along with sometimes inadequate documentation.

- Frank Feuerbacher

Disclaimer: I don't speak for my employer and they don't speak for me.