X & AIX

Chuck Karish karish at mindcraft.com
Wed Jan 16 05:38:37 AEST 1991

In article <829 at nih-csl.nih.gov> jip at helix.nih.gov (john powell) writes:
>I am assisting some basically novice system administrators in setting up and
>using a RS6000 AIX 3.1 (patch 3001 I believe).  IBM did the initial
>software installation and afterwards on boot the console was running X as root.
>
>1.  After a user logs in from the console and starts X, how does he
>    stop X and logout?  We tried killing X but this leaves the console hung.

<CTRL><ALT><BKSP> kills the X server, with console error messages.
If you put a line like

	"Quit mwm"	f.quit_mwm

into the RootMenu stanza in your users' .mwmrc files, they'll be
able to exit X from the mwm menu.  If the user closes all child
windows before exiting, no console messages will result.

>2.  (This may be the answer to the first)  Some of the Docs. we have found talks
>     about starting X from virtual terminal and hot-keying to other virtual
>     terminals.  Were should we look for documentation on doing this?

Try 'man open'.  This opens a native-mode virtual terminal.  The
user rotates through the active virtual terminals with the right-side
<ALT><ACT> keys.  I always use 'open xinit' instead of 'xinit' so
I have a console window open and can escape from X.  This makes it
easy for a second user to open up another X server without disturbing
my screen while I'm at lunch.

'xopen' opens a virtual terminal from X; toggling back to X iconifies
the virtual terminal.

	Chuck Karish		karish at mindcraft.com
	Mindcraft, Inc.		(415) 323-9000