SUMMARY: Kermit for RS/6000

Arne Henrik Juul arnej at lise.unit.no
Thu Jan 31 23:25:36 AEST 1991

Thanks to all who responded to my query. I am sorry this
summary is a bit late, but I have been swamped in work, and
also my network connection to the only RS/6000 here has
been down :-)

The answer seems to be to use the SYSV version of TTY
handling, as I have got reports that this works, while both
the BSD and the POSIX versions are broken. If somebody with
access to POSIX specs could verify that this is indeed the
way it's meant to be, I would be very unhappy. :-)

Many pointed me to the newest version of Kermit, which have
support for the RS/6000 series. For people in the US, the
right place to ftp it from is probably
   watsun.cc.columbia.edu, directory /kermit/sw
while those in Europe should probably use
   kolvi.hut.fi, directory /kermit/unix/sw

I got the 5A(164) version, and this seems to work very
well. But be aware that this is a developmental version,
still in rapid change!

	Arne H. Juul

arnej at lise.unit.no   -- internet mail please        -- hacker -
Arne.Juul at unit.no    -- X/400 mail for sadists      --    I   -