Problem with modem on S2 serial port

Mike Stefanik/78125 mike at bria.AIX
Tue Jan 1 12:32:01 AEST 1991

In article <22165 at orstcs.CS.ORST.EDU>, ghe at nucthy.physics.orst.edu (Guangliang He) writes:
> In article <281 at bria.AIX> mike at bria.AIX (Mike Stefanik/78125) writes:
> > I having a bit of a problem with an RS/6000 and a modem on the
> > S2 serial port.  I'm running 3.1 (3002 updates), and have a
> > Multitech 224E sitting on the S2 port (and, of course, using a
> > standard IBM modem cable for said port).  The port is the standard
> > 2400 bps, 81N, and *enabled* for login (not shared; that doesn't seem
> > to work *at all*, even with 3002 applied).
> >
> > The problem is that when I try to dial up the system, I get a
> > connect, but no login.
>
> I have a similar situation here. I have a Multitech modem connect to
> one of the 8 port adapter (not S2). Login is enabled. I can get connect
> 2400 but no login prompt. My solution is hit Ctcl-C or Ctcl-\ after I
> got the connect. Works for me everytime.

When I called AIX support, that was one of the things that they suggested
that I do; I've tried CTRL-C, DEL, and BREAK and nothing seems to get
that modem's attention.

Unfortunately, there were two APARs that they dug up related to this, and
as I gather, they both were included in the 3002 update.  Now, it looks
as though they've dropped the ball on me, and I have a customer who I
can't support.