Problem with modem on S2 serial port

John F Haugh II jfh at greenber.austin.ibm.com
Thu Jan 10 09:15:45 AEST 1991

In article <334 at bria> mike at bria.UUCP (Michael Stefanik) writes:
>As I understand it, SMIT is just an interface for the regular commands
>such as penable, pdisable, and chdev.  Would there really be a functional
>difference if I enter "penable" or SMIT enters "penable"?

Generally speaking, yes, SMIT is just an interface to the usual
collection of commands used to alter a device.  However, in this
specific instance SMIT does not use "penable" or "pdisable" to
do its work, instead it calls "chdev -l tty0 -a login=<>" or
something to that effect.  If you are really interested, call up
SMIT and make the changes you desire, then press the <F6> key
instead of <RETURN>.  That will tell you exactly what commands
SMIT is going to execute.

>Yup, inittab looked wonderful, and ps does show a getty on the port.
>From the looks of things, I'll have to snag the 3003 update and
>see if that fixes the problem ... :-(

There are some fixes in 3003 that will fix problems with shared
ports (-u and -r and -??? flags).  Your problem sounds like
something completely different that is also fixed in 3003 that
related to p{delay,share,enable,disable}.
--
John F. Haugh II       | This space intentionally |    MaBellNet: (512) 838-4330
SneakerNet: 809/1C079  |      left blank ...      |      VNET: LCCB386 at AUSVMQ