Need help nfs mounting from an Apollo.

Robin D. Wilson robin at batcomp.austin.ibm.com
Fri Jan 11 06:27:04 AEST 1991

In article <1991Jan9.185717.1613 at portia.Stanford.EDU> keith at sscsu.Stanford.EDU (Keith Rich) writes:
)
)lin at sixmile.INEL.GOV (Linn Hower)
)writes:
)
)>   Help!  I am trying to mount an exported filesystem from an Apollo
)> DN10000, SR10.3 on a RISC/6000 320 V3.1.  I am stuck with filesystem
)> names on the apollo like //einstein/u1.  Thats a double slash.
)> When I try 'mount einstein://einstein/u1 /mnt', I get:
)> mount: access denied for einstein:/einstein/u1
)> mount: giving up on:
)>         einstein:/einstein/u1
)> The AIX mount has dropped the the first slash.  How can I get it to
)> stop doing this?

As another person already pointed out, you can mount apollo "//" files
by using "nfsmnthelp" from the RS.  Please read the info documentation
on this facility, it is well explained and will allow you to do what
you want.

)> As far as I know, you can not mount the Apollo // level on AIX
)> (we have one too, and tried for a few days to trick it - first using
)> smit, then editing the NFS files manually). The problem is that on

The problem is in the "mount" command itself.  The mount command
"interprets" the path, and trys to construct a valid "AIX" path using
"AIX" rules.  Since the Apollo is not AIX, the rules don't apply.
Mount then passes the "interpreted" path on to "nfsmnthelp" which
actually does the mount.  Once you go directly to the nfsmnthelp
facility, the mount command is unable to interfere, so you can mount
anything you want.  As the other solution note pointed out, adding the
info to the /etc/filesystems file won't help, because "mount" is called to
make those mounts.  The best solution is to add the nfsmnthelp command
string to the bottom of the rc.nfs file or create a shell script file
called (something like) apollo.mounts, and fire it off from /etc/inittab.

)
)The mount protocol is completely separated from the file access itself,
)and it is supposed to simply map a general character string into an NFS
)file handle.  There are no implications about the content of the string
)which are set by the mount protocol.  Therefore, slashes, dots, blanks,
)etc. are supposed to get interpreted by mountd (or equivalent) on the
)server system.

On AIX, nfsmnthelp handles this, not "mount".

|The views expressed herein, are the sole responsibility of the typist at hand|
|UUCP:     robin%aixserv at uunet.uu.net                                         |
|USNail:   701 Canyon Bend Dr.                                                |
|          Pflugerville, TX  78660                                            |
|          Home: (512)251-6889      Work: (512)823-3015                       |