Booting Single User RS6000

Tim Anderson tim at tim.ingr.com
Sat Jan 19 05:32:20 AEST 1991

How can you boot an RS6000 into single user mode without booting from
floppies and without previously modifying /etc/inittab???

I was configuring NIS and inadvertently tried to bind to an unreachable
machine - during a reboot shortly thereafter the console began printing
a message that the NIS server was not responding and it was retrying the
connection attempt.  I searched for ways to boot into single user to
modify the rc.nfs file, but could not locate any documentation on how to
do this.  Eventually I was able to get the machine to boot without trying
to start NIS, but don't ask me how I did it!  Does anybody know how to
accomplish this task (assuming I have the key to the system lock).
     /  Tim Anderson  ( uunet!ingr!b23b!tim!tim )  /  Shift to the left,   /
    /  Systems Product Marketing                  /  Shift to the right,  /
   /  Intergraph Corporation                     /  Push 'em, Pop 'em,   /
  /  Huntsville, Alabama  35807-4201            /  Byte, byte, byte !!! /
 /  Mailstop: LR23B4    Phone: (205) 730-8503  /                       /