Booting Single User RS6000

Peter Murray pemurray at miavx1.acs.muohio.edu
Tue Jan 22 04:36:49 AEST 1991

In article <9929 at b11.ingr.com>, tim at tim.ingr.com (Tim Anderson) writes:
> How can you boot an RS6000 into single user mode without booting from
> floppies and without previously modifying /etc/inittab???
>
> I was configuring NIS and inadvertently tried to bind to an unreachable
> machine - during a reboot shortly thereafter the console began printing
> a message that the NIS server was not responding and it was retrying the
> connection attempt.  I searched for ways to boot into single user to
> modify the rc.nfs file, but could not locate any documentation on how to
> do this.  Eventually I was able to get the machine to boot without trying
> to start NIS, but don't ask me how I did it!  Does anybody know how to
> accomplish this task (assuming I have the key to the system lock).

Hehehe.  I have to laugh.  We did the same thing a week ago.  Here's what
you need to do:

1.  Grab your OS distribution media and the IBM AIX Version 3 Installation
Kit instruction manual.

2.  Boot from the distribution media following the instructions in the
manual.

3.  When you get the "AIX 3.1 INSTALLATION AND MAINTENANCE" menu, select
option 5 ("Perform System Maintenance").

4.  Your now in sort of a single user mode.  You need to enter one more
command to get your disks mounted:  (the magic command)

	/etc/continue hdisk0

When that is done processing, you should be in single user mode.

Be warned, though (as the guy on the phone did AT LEAST a half a dozen times)
IBM can't support anything you do now.  It is recommended that you call your
Service Dude to come up and fix your machine.  But if you know what your doing,
I say go for it.

Peter
--
Peter Murray            Neat UNIX Stunts #7:             pemurray at miavx1.bitnet