NFS mount problem Ultrix to AIX

Bill Wohler wohler at sapwdf.UUCP
Mon Jan 14 21:31:34 AEST 1991

[i wrote this several months ago before we allowed news to be posted.
i am posting it now because others may be interested to know that our
problem disappeared by simply reinstalling unix! in fact, i even have
the automounter working flawlessly.  (i must have done something
different than the original installer.)  however, i am still curious
why our network was unreachable with the device et0 though. --bw]

jpe at egr.duke.edu (John P. Eisenmenger) writes:
>The problem is in the type of ethernet packet in use.  Your RS6000 is using
>Xerox Ethernet, whereas you Ultrix station is using IEEE 802.3.  If you
>change your RS6000 to use IEEE 802.3 things will work.  For some reason
>this doesn't show up in other protocols, and most of the mounting process
>actually goes okay.

  my machine suffers from the above problem as well.

  it was easy to change the ethernet device with smit (ha ha) to et0.
  afterwards the network was completely unreachable.  changing the mtu
  on en0 to 1492 also had the same effect.  further ideas are
  appreciated.

  the funny thing is that these mounts *succeed* at boot time (ie.
  from the mount all command in /etc/rc).  however, root cannot access
  any files mounted via nfs.

						--bw
						wohler at sap-ag.de