objectrepository and odme (was Re: 3002 update breaks uucico

John R. Miller john at fulcrum.austin.ibm.com
Sat Jan 12 13:53:12 AEST 1991

In article <663467505.4708 at mindcraft.com> karish at mindcraft.com (Chuck Karish) writes:

   Several quibbles, though:

   [ some of the quibbles deleted ]

   - Why does smit write smit.log and smit.script in my home directory?
     There's only one system being maintained; there should be exactly one
     trace of the maintenance process.

Although smit is an acronym for system management interface tool, it
can be handy for other users as well.  It can be used by almost anyone
to query the system or do (fairly) complicated things that are
unrelated to system management (e.g., It is perhaps a good way to
start using the print spooler.)  No sense in cluttering up root's
smit.{log,script} with JRU's poking about.

   [ another quibble deleted ]

   - Where's a list of the 'fast path' keywords for jumping to a
     particular smit menu from the command line?

Try these odmget commands.  I don't think they'll list every fast
path, but they'll get most of them.

  # First get the commands.  Note, however, that you can't
  # jump to a command that has a name select in front of it.
  odmget -q "has_name_select != 'y'" sm_cmd_hdr | egrep "^->id =|^->name ="

  # Next get the name selects that are in front of some commands.
  odmget sm_name_hdr | egrep "^->id =|^->name ="

  # Lastly get the menu nodes.  This one is trickier than it
  # should be for reasons that are unclear to me.
  odmget sm_menu_opt | egrep "^->next_id =|^->text ="

where -> is a tab in each of the REs.

There may well be an easier way.  I'm neither a smit nor an odm
expert.  These commands will definitely miss some fast paths.  In
particular, I think it will miss some that have more than one path.
For example, one can get to the main NFS menu via
  smit nfs_menus
or
  smit nfs
or
  smit NFS	# (normally, the fast paths are case sensitive)
but the odmget commands above only retrieve the first.  I think the
other two are "aliases" that were placed by hand but are not used
internally by the menus and so don't appear in the sm_menu_opt list.

Of course, one could get all menu nodes with
  odmget sm_menu_opt | grep "^->id ="
but at best this would be less than useful since there would be no
description of the ids.

Piping it through the following sed command will combine ids and
descriptions (of course, 'name' should be replaced with 'text' when
using it on the output of the third command).

  # Combine the id with the description on one line.
  sed -n -e N -e 's/"\n name = "/"  "/' -e p

(I only include this because, personally, I have trouble remembering
how to combine lines in this way.)

Hope (as they say) this helps.
--
John R. Miller (not to be confused with my employer)
work:	512/823-3867		john at glasnost.austin.ibm.com
home:	512/331-0155		john at crcaus.cactus.org