objectrepository and odme (was Re: 3002 update breaks uucico

Mark Whetzel markw at airgun.wg.waii.com
Fri Jan 11 09:58:52 AEST 1991

In article <663467505.4708 at mindcraft.com>, karish at mindcraft.com (Chuck Karish) writes:
[odm discussions deleted for bandwidth]

> As far as I can tell from playing with odme, all it knows how to do is to
> load a prepared stanza into the database.  When I found the entry for it
> in the info database, I expected to be able to browse the database and
> find out what features of the different components were configurable.
> Instead, I found no way to determine the names of the objects in
> the database, so I couldn't call them up and look at them.  I also
> discovered that odme always screwed up the colors in my aixterm
> windows.
>
> As a system manager, I have yet to find a real use for odme.

[ some good points about smits failings ]

Ah, but if you are devloping new software such as device drivers and
need to modify elements of the database, odme is a necessity.

I don't have the time to write all the @#%$# smit interface menus just
to make my new device driver work.  That can be done later when all is
working and the system now needs polish to make my code fit in 'just like
other ibm devices'.

ODME also has saved my day several times when real early versions of SMIT would
completely screw up the odm database, and smit would refuse to touch it again!
( ah, TCPIP woes during the 89Q build come to mind! :-)

Using odme also allows you to specify wild cards for lookups when using the
search functions.  Useful when you dont know exactly what you are looking for.

Press f2 search, and specifiy 'like disk*' for example which will look
for any string that starts with disk..

BUT... I agree, at times the odm database does seem like a hassle.

Later
Markw

--
Mark Whetzel     My comments are my own, not my company's.
Western Geophysical - A division of Western Atlas International,
A Litton/Dresser Company           DOMAIN addr: markw at airgun.wg.waii.com
				   UUNET address:  uunet!airgun!markw