Looks like IBM is pulling the plug on AIX 2.2.1

Mark Whetzel markw at airgun.wg.waii.com
Sat Jan 26 09:37:08 AEST 1991

This letter just came in to my office today from IBM.

I Thought some of the people here might be interested in it's contents.
------------------ start copy of IBM letter -----------------------

Memorandum to: Licensees of AIX/RT Operating System V 2.2.1  5601-061
               Licensees of RT PC Virtual Resource Mgr V2.2.1  5601-062
               Licensees of AIX/RT Distributed Services V1.2.1  5601-160
               Licensees of AIX/RT PC/AT Simulator V1.1.1  5601-191
               Licensees of AIX/RT Workstation Host Interface Program V1.1  5601-189
               Licensees of AIX/RT X-Windows V2.1  5601-125
               Licensees of IBM RT PC Language Fortran 77 V1.1  5669-054
               Licensees of AIX/RT VS COBOL Compiler  V1.1  5706-026
               Licensees of AIX/RT VS COBOL RT Envionment  V1.1  5706-025
               Licensees of IBM RT PC VS Fortran Compiler V1  5601-037
               Licensees of IBM RT PC VS Pascal Compiler V1  5601-038
               Licensees of AIX/RT Network File System V1.2  5601-159

Subject:  Program Service Reclassification

It is IBM's practice to provide to users of record a minimum of six or twelve
months written notice of discontinuance of program services provided under the
Agreement for IBM Licensed Programs.  The purpose of the letter is to notify
you that program services are withdrawn effective 06/30/91 for the
above-mentioned program.  At that time, program services will no longer be
provided.

In addition, this letter provides the required twelve months written notice of
discontinuance of local program support, if applicable, provided under the
Agreement for Local Licensed Program Support for IBM Licensed Programs or
Agreement for Local System Support for IBM Control Programming or Programs on
IBM Machines.  Local Program support is withdrawn effective 06/30/91 for the
above-mentioned program to which local progam support is applicable.

For further information, contatct you IMB marketing representivea.
------------------------ end included letter --------------------------

Mispellings may be directed at myself when typing this in :-)

Looks like IBM is going (or trying) to pull the plug on AIX 2.2.1 for
us LOWLY RT users.   This is going to hit a lot of people hard, as it is
their primary machine..  We only have 10 of the beasties, and it is going
to put a crimp in our usage for sure.

Looks like they are going to drop the whole thing like a hot potatoe.
Any support group for orphaned IBM RT users?  :-(

Later,
Markw
--
Mark Whetzel     My comments are my own, not my company's.
Western Geophysical - A division of Western Atlas International,
A Litton/Dresser Company           DOMAIN addr: markw at airgun.wg.waii.com
				   UUNET address:  uunet!airgun!markw