Replacing /bin/login under AIX 3.1

Rooty toot toot root at caen.engin.umich.edu
Sat Jan 19 07:48:46 AEST 1991

In article <9T4^9=- at rpi.edu> todd at narnia.ecs.rpi.edu (R. Lindsay Todd) writes:

>Hi -- I need to provide an alternate login program on my RS6000's
>(to provide Kerberos authentication for AFS).  However, simply
>replacing /bin/login with another version doesn't work.  Upon
>further study, I noticed that /bin/login is a hard link to /etc/getty
>and /etc/tsm; it also became clear the /etc/getty takes care of
>authentication itself!

We too wish to modify our /bin/login for Kerberos authentication
purposes.  Various folks here at the university as well as from
Transarc Corp. have been trying to get the source from IBM in order
to modify it.  Apparently the RS/6000s do not use /bin/login as most
other unix machines do.  Additionally, your problems don't end there.
According to Transarc, telnetd must be modified too.
For now we are waiting patiently to get our hot little
hands on the source so that we may hack it.

>Now, /etc/security/login.cfg and /etc/security/user seems to have some
>hooks for providing alternative authentication methods.  However, my
>CD-ROM wears a bit thin in this area.  Has anyone successfully used
>these hooks to provide an alternative login mechanism?

I looked at the alternative authentication methods too.  The big
problem I saw was that there was no way to trap the password from the
system login to use in any of the alternate authentication methods.
If anyone knows how to do this, please tell us!

>Is there any other way I could use a substitute login program?

The only way I know of is to arrange to obtain the source from IBM.
If you find another way, please post.

Wendy Ross                         internet:wross at caen.engin.umich.edu
Computer Aided Engineering Network bitnet: try Wendy_Ross at umichub.bitnet
University of Michigan