Replacing /bin/login under AIX 3.1

R. Lindsay Todd todd at narnia.ecs.rpi.edu
Sat Jan 19 06:41:13 AEST 1991

Hi -- I need to provide an alternate login program on my RS6000's
(to provide Kerberos authentication for AFS).  However, simply
replacing /bin/login with another version doesn't work.  Upon
further study, I noticed that /bin/login is a hard link to /etc/getty
and /etc/tsm; it also became clear the /etc/getty takes care of
authentication itself!

Now, /etc/security/login.cfg and /etc/security/user seems to have some
hooks for providing alternative authentication methods.  However, my
CD-ROM wears a bit thin in this area.  Has anyone successfully used
these hooks to provide an alternative login mechanism?

Is there any other way I could use a substitute login program?
--
R. Lindsay Todd, Systems Programmer
ECS, Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute, Troy, NY 12180-3590
Internet: todd at narnia.ecs.rpi.edu