Aix Access for Dos

Richard L. Pettit Jr. richp at romulus.la.locus.com
Wed Jan 16 02:33:25 AEST 1991

In article <1991Jan15.014317.25222 at news.nd.edu> mandell at mozart.helios.nd.edu (Dan Mandell) writes:
>know whether it is IBM's intention to include support in the coming release,

I don't know why they wouldn't.  We've been supporting the existing product
all along.  And that's no easy task since this is a very old version of
Locus' PC Interface.  The new product is based on fairly recent version of PCI.

>AADU is a product IBM recommended we use, but I believe
>there are some PD/Shareware programs that will provide NFS access; Does AADU

You rolls the dices and you takes your chances.  PCI on the other hand is
a stable product with an installed base of tens of thousands of machines.

>support things beyond NFS?

AADU (PCI) is not NFS.  It's the same only different.  Remote filesystems
become accessable to your DOS machine as your next drive (d: e: f: etc).

>Is it needed to provide Xwindows access?

No.  PCI, PC XSight, and our TCP/IP product are put together like this:

  PCI / PCXSight
     TCP/IP
    MACHINE

so that the two top level products share the same interface to the network.
You can also use some other vendors TCP/IP products as well.

>Dan

Rich
----
              Richard Pettit                       Locus Computing Corp.
                                richp at locus.com
        "Opinions expressed herein are of the author, not (LCC or IBM)"