Problems compiling X clients

Ronald S Woan woan at excelsior
Sun Jan 13 21:47:14 AEST 1991

In article <9698 at pitt.UUCP>, jonathan at cs.pitt.edu (Jonathan Eunice) writes:
jonathan> 1) The directories and files don't seem to be where they're
jonathan> expected to be.  Many files are buried under
jonathan> /usr/lpp/X11/Xamples.  Is this normal?  The Makefiles,
jonathan> Imakefiles, and #include statements in many contributed
jonathan> applications don't seem to think so.  This problem, at
jonathan> least, can be fixed with elbow grease.

No not normal (same as with IBM's X11 distribution with AIX 2.2.1/RT,
so some of us are used to it), but with enough -I directives for the c
compiler, you should be able to eliminate much of the handtooling...
You should be able to create a custom imake template to take care of
this.

jonathan> 2) I cannot find a number of symbols (eg, XawTextEditType,
jonathan>    XawtextRead, XawtextWrapNever) and include files (eg,
jonathan>    SimpleMenu.h, SmeLine.h, and SmeBSB.h from the Xaw
jonathan>    library) from the Athena widgets set.  I have used nm,
jonathan>    grep, and find to scan the system for these missing
jonathan>    entities -- both in places they should be, and as a last
jonathan>    resort, in all the places they should not be.  Can anyone
jonathan>    suggest where these include files and symbols might be
jonathan>    found?  Or, can't they be found because they belong to
jonathan>    X11R4, some library IBM does not provide, or somesuch?
jonathan>    Am I missing something?

They belong to X11R4 which IBM doesn't ship, but the MIT distribution
compiles without much fuss... Personally I have all of the X11R4 stuff
installed under /mit just like everyone else to save the config file
customization...

+ Ronald S. Woan       woan at peyote.cactus.org or woan%austin at iinus1.ibm.com +
+ other email addresses             Prodigy: XTCR74A Compuserve: 73530,2537 +