Problems compiling X clients

Jonathan Eunice jonathan at cs.pitt.edu
Sun Jan 13 18:04:46 AEST 1991

I've been trying to build an number of X applications obtained from the
net on an RS/6000 running AIX "Golden Code."  Though many have compiled
without a hitch, I've run into several problems:

1) The directories and files don't seem to be where they're expected to
   be.  Many files are buried under /usr/lpp/X11/Xamples.  Is this
   normal?  The Makefiles, Imakefiles, and #include statements in many
   contributed applications don't seem to think so.  This problem, at
   least, can be fixed with elbow grease.

2) I cannot find a number of symbols (eg, XawTextEditType, XawtextRead,
   XawtextWrapNever) and include files (eg, SimpleMenu.h, SmeLine.h,
   and SmeBSB.h from the Xaw library) from the Athena widgets set.  I
   have used nm, grep, and find to scan the system for these missing
   entities -- both in places they should be, and as a last resort, in
   all the places they should not be.  Can anyone suggest where these
   include files and symbols might be found?  Or, can't they be found
   because they belong to X11R4, some library IBM does not provide, or
   somesuch?  Am I missing something?