How to use Display PostScript to preview PS?

Michael Hucka hucka at engin.umich.edu
Tue Jan 8 10:18:35 AEST 1991

In article <9635 at pitt.UUCP> jonathan at speedy.cs.pitt.edu (Jonathan Eunice) writes:
   From: jonathan at speedy.cs.pitt.edu (Jonathan Eunice)
   Date: 4 Jan 91 22:46:14 GMT

   For those of you that do not want to figure out how to redefine
   the showpage operator to pause for input just to get dpsexec to work,
   the following PostScript fragment may be helpful.  Put it in a file,
   say showpage.ps, and run it before trying to preview PS files.
   Whenever the PostScript interpreter runs into a showpage command, it
   will pause for a character of input, such as space or return.  Thus
   multi-page files can be viewed.

   [... rest deleted ...]

Jonathan, thanks very much for posting this.

I have a followup question: with this patch I've been able to use dpsexec to
view postscript generated from latex files.  However, the text is nearly
unreadable.  Of course this is due to mismatch between the screen resolution
and the resolution at which dpsexec is trying to display the fonts.
Question: is there a way, in PostScript, to improve dpsexec's output of the
fonts?  (Excuse me if that is a terribly naive question.)  Basically I'd like
to see a prolog file which redefines showpage and fixes up the font output so
that I could use dpsexec to preview output from dvips.

What I suspect will really be necessary is to generate the DVI output from
latex for different-resolution fonts, to match the RS/6000 monitor's
resolution, but I wanted to ask on the net, in case some of you gurus have a
simpler solution.

Mike
Mike Hucka                     | Internet: hucka at caen.engin.umich.edu
University of Michigan AI Lab  | 1101 Beal Ave., Ann Arbor, MI 48109